This will be tough to recover from. I expect some announcement sooner than later. I would also guess that Affliction will hold off disbanding as long as they possibly can unless they find a potential buyer or merge with Strikeforce. I think it is also highly possible that some of the Affliction fighters will end up on Strikeforce’s August card. Fabricio Werdum needs an opponent now that Alistair Overeem has withdrawn from their bout. Enter Fedor. Nick Diaz needs an opponent for his bout which Joe Riggs withdrew from. Enter Jay Hieron. Vitor Belfort can still fight Jorge Santiago at the Strikeforce event. Readers can laud my prophetic side when this is proven true.
I also would be shocked if Affliction actually promoted another event. I believe they may discuss another event, but I don’t expect them to hold one.
Strikeforce very well could buy them out along with theit contracts, but in the end I look to see several fighters end up with the UFC as well.
I do not know much about the contractual status of Affliction’s fighters. Here is a list of some of the guys the UFC, DREAM, and Strikeforce will pursue if Affliction dies…
- Fedor Emelianenko – He is still tied to M-1 Global
- Ben Rothwell – He may have contractual ties to Adrenaline MMA
- Andrei Arlovski – He fulflled his Affliction contract and is a free agent
- Tim Sylvia – I believe he is free of Affliction already
- Gilbert Yvel – He wants to be in the UFC
- Paul Buentello – Has one fight left on his Affliction contract
- Chase Gormley – Not sure what his contract was like.
- Gegard Mousasi – Fights Sokoudjou October 6 in DREAM Super Hulk
- Renato “Babalu” Sobral – I believe he is still tied to Strikeforce
- Antonio Rogerio Nogueira – I believe he is a free agent, but not sure
- Vladimir Matyushenko
- Vitor Belfort – Has one fight left with Affliction, UFC wants him bad!
- Jorge Santiago – Not sure if he is tied down to WVR or Strikeforce
- Jay Hieron
- Paul Daly – I do not know if the Hieron fight was a one fight deal
- Takanori Gomi – Not sure how many he signed for with Affliction
- Chris Horodecki
- LC Davis
- Deividas Taursevicious
- Mark Hominick
Barring Strikeforce buying out Affliction along with their contracts a la EliteXC, I look for the UFC to land 7-10 of the above guys. If the guys can get free of their contracts I would say that the most likely signing for UFC would be Belfort, Rothwell, Yvel, Daley and Mousasi.