Bellator officially announced today that he they have signed former UFC fighter Roger Huerta to an exclusive deal. Also, it was announced that Huerta will compete in the promotion’s upcoming lightweight tournament and will make his debut April 8th. Huerta’s opponent was not yet announced.
Huerta came off of back to back losses inside the UFC and finished up his career there. Huerta was unsure of his fighting future for a while as he dabbled in acting, but now he promises that he is fully committed to mixed martial arts.
Bellator continues to sign solid fighters and Huerta will be a clear favorite to win the tournament and face Eddie Alvarez for the title.
Other press conference notes:
- Huerta insists that he is hungrier than ever
- Roger is coming off several weeks training muay thai in Thailand where he tightened up his Thai skills
- Huerta likes the tournament format
- Bjorn Rebney mentioned that the winner of the tournaments will fight for the title in the fall
- Also, the next season of Bellator will feature heavyweights, light heavyweights, bantamweights, and women
- The winner of each tournament is assured a six figure pay day
- Huerta is back training with Dave Menne
- Huerta says he has no hard feelings with the UFC
- Huerta acknowledges that the tournament will not be easy as the other competitors will be hungry as well