1. Anderson Silva – He was so close to being on the losers list. A last second submission puts him in the winners list. Not only that, but Dana White is correct when he said that this fight was legendary. Champions find a way to win and Silva did. He did a great job turning around the Maia performance.
2. Chael Sonnen – I know Sonnen lost the fight, but he won respect. No one has fought Anderson that well. Sonnen dominated for 4+ rounds. Not only that he held his own on his feet. He checked in two 10-8 rounds. He was very successful with his take downs. He inflicted serious damage. Her backed up the smack talk. He is already in the mix for an immediate re-match.
3. Matt Hughes – I know some will knock Hughes, but it is unwarranted. Hughes is now on a three fight win streak. Almeida is a serious threat to anyone at 170 lbs. Let his sink in: Matt Hughes put a legit BJJ black belt to sleep with a serious choke. I am telling you, Hughes can compete with anyone at 170 lbs still. I’d love to see Hughes vs. Fitch or Hughes vs. Koscheck. He is a winner because he won impressively and because he proved his relevance at 170 lbs.
4. Junior Dos Santos – He is a winner primarily because he won and earned himself a title shot. It is my opinion that Dos Santos has the best resume of the top heavyweights in the UFC. He boasts wins over Fabricio Werdum, Gabriel Gonzaga, Mirko Cro Cop, Gilbert Yvel and now Roy Nelson. He is a legit threat to the Lesnar.Velasquez winner. Some will nkock Dos Santos’ performance against Nelson and knock his inability to finish. Some will critique his lack of leg kicks, but I think this fight showed heart. He showed good hands and a good chin.
5. Roy Nelson – I know “Big Country” lost, but I think he gained fans and gained respect for his heart. He took a beating. He showed he could take shots from the best in the division. Nelson is still an elite Heavyweight.
1. Thiago Alves – The loser award is not even close. Alves took it by a mile. He looked horrible Saturday night. Not only that but he failed to make weight by 1/2 pound. He ticked of the UFC brass. His place is at 185 or with a nutritionist.
2. Rodney Wallace – Its not just that he looked bad it is that he will surely get cut following his loss to Phil Davis. He is too small for the 205 lb division and probably out of his league.
MMA Planet Fight of the Night: Anderson Silva vs. Chael Sonnen
MMA Planet Submission of the Night: Matt Hughes
MMA Planet Knockout of the Night: Stefan Struve
MMA Planet Piss Poor Performance of the Night: Thiago Alves
MMA Planet Prospect to Watch: Phil Davis & Johnny Hendricks
MMA Planet Event Grade: A-