On December 11th the UFC will return to Montreal for UFC 124. Also, the UFC plans to quickly host an event in newly sanctioned Ontario. this means that the UFC will hold two cards in Canada within the next 6 months. It is likely that the UFc will add some more local talent for the list, so who should expect a call?
1. Jesse Bongfeldt – He is on a seven fight win streak which includes a win over UFC fighter T.J. Grant. Overall, Jesse stands at 20-5. I believe he could not only make it to the UFC, but I think he could make an impact. The one problem is that Bongfeldt has not fought since September of 2009.
2. Ryan Ford – I would have more confidence of Ford making it to the big show soon if it were not for him having an upcoming fight. However, I look for Ford to eventually get his shot. Ford is coming off of a win against TUF 6 finalist Tommy Speer. A win over the tough Doug Lima on September 10th could bring the Edmonton native an inch closer to the octagon.
3. Nick Ring – He competed on the Ultimate Fighter 11, but never got a chance to compete in the UFC. Ring was the favorite to win the show, but an injury forced him out of the competition. The former PRIDE open tryout winner still boasts a perfect 10-0 record. Knee injuries have really hampered his career. However, I wouldn’t be shocked to see Ring get a shot in the UFC at one of the upcoming Canadian shows.
4. John Alessio – Alessio has a fight at the end of September with UFc veteran Yoshiyuki Yoshida, should he get by “Zenko” I believe Alessio may get another shot int he UFC. In hiw two UFC appearances his was a late replacement and had to face Diego Snachez and Thiago Alves. I think Alessio could compete against some of the UFC welterweights.
5. Nick Penner – The 9-1 Manitoba native is a respectable heavyweight prospect. Hey, he beat “Butterbean”.
6. Mike Adams – A talented and undefeated lightweight prospect who could get a chance. Adam, who hails from Bristish Columbia is certainly on any well informed prospect list. Perhaps by the time the UFc heads to Toronto he could get his chance. In all likelihood though Adams needs a few more wins.
7. Ryan Jimmo – Jimmo is coming off of wins over Marvin Eastman, Emmanuel Newton and Wilson Gouveia. Jimmo lost in the elimination rounds of the Ultimate Fighter 9. I believe that Jimmo deserves a chance. Big wins over big names will get him another chance…possiblly in Montreal in December.
8. Steve Bosse – The 8-1 Quebec native may have a good shot at fighting in Montreal if he is is ready. Many people feel Bosse can be a solid prospect.
9. Keto Allen – An under the radar type guy to make it to the UFC. Allen is a legit undefeated prospect. I’d like to see him get his chance, but I think a welterweight season of the Ultimate Fighter would suit him better.
10. Mike Martelle – The Canadian Muay Thai fighter has an impressive 14-2 record and could start turning heads. I wonder if he has got the attention of Joe Silva in time for one of the Canada cards?